Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Sew It – Show It Challenge: Sweet on You

 


I'm so happy to be participating in another fun challenge, this time hosted by Joan of MooseStash Quilting.

Here's the list of today's participants:


___________________________________

So, what am I sweet on? Lately I've been sweet on using up scraps! Like most of you, I have bins full of fabric scraps, and I also have tons of wool felt scraps. 

In the past few months I've created a couple of wool felt scrap projects...

A scrappy pillow for my bed:

And a scrappy wall hanging that I intended to represent flowers, but two people have already told me they look like citrus slices!
___________________________________

For this challenge, I've created three small cotton fabric scrap projects. 

The first is a small yo-yo mat for my kitchen:


For my second project I made no-sew rag balls. These are usually made with Styrofoam balls, glue, and strips of fabric, but I had some “retired” wool dryer balls on hand, so I used those instead.

And lastly…These past holidays I realized I didn't have enough pads for hot dishes, so I decided to make a coiled clothesline trivet. The clothesline is also from my on-hand supplies and is 100% cotton, (not synthetic, which might melt). It is wrapped in scrap fabric strips, sewn together with a zigzag stitch on the machine, and measures approximately 11".

Unfortunately, (or fortunately depending upon your POV), I still have tons of scraps to use up. I will continue finding ways to do just that!
____________________________

I love to read your comments, and will respond via email unless you are a No Reply Blogger.

And finally, be sure to visit everyone else participating in this sweet challenge!


17 comments:

  1. Great use of scraps and love your yo you quilt. So adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth you always seem to have such great ideas. I think I might want to try the hot pads. I have some cork pieces that could be covered. If I had wool, I'd surely try to make some small item, but maybe at some point in my life there will be wool. One never knows

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scrappy projects are all really neat! Clever ideas, all (I agree with those who think the flowers look like citrus slices. LOL.) Somehow, the scrap bins always grow, even when I try to use up scraps...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I"m loving your scrap busting projects. So many fun ways to use up the "stuff". For the life of me, I don't understand how we can use so much scrap and still never see those bins dwindle away??? Great idea for using old wool dryer balls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your projects, and what great use of scraps! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You busted a lot of scraps on all these sweet things! Flowers or citrus slices, they are beautiful either way. Great idea for coiling the rope into a hot pad. Thank you for sharing your sweet projects, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been busy, love all of your projects. I am working on organizing my scraps. I think a yo yo mat is on my list. I love English paper piecing also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whether you call it citrus or flowers, it is lovely either way. All great finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic use of scraps! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All really nice projects. That flowers/citrus wall hanging is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun bunch of ways to use up scraps! I need to try some trivets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dryer balls - great choice for the rag balls! I like how that puffy quiltlet looks under the vase - perfect vase for those colors. You've done scraps proud!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to use yo yo's in wall hangings etc. yours brought back memories;) You are so right we all have gobs of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are lovely projects. Great idea using scraps to make a trivet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sweet on your scrappy projects. I really love that trivet. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am especially loving your pillow and the yoyo kitchen runner. It's wonderful that you're using up scraps - you know they seem to multiple no matter what! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your scrappy projects. They are all so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete