Sunday, September 19, 2021

Seaside Adventure Row Along Turtle Trek

 


I'm happy to be participating in week three of this year's Row Along. 

We are doing this hop in honor of Marian Pena, who we tragically lost this year. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to Marian's family. Melissa from The Quilting Room graciously took up the mantle and all the hard work of organizing this, so a big thanks to Melissa!

*****************
Be sure to visit everyone participating in this week of the hop:




*****************

The theme for this year is, as indicated in the graphic above, is something related to the Seaside. I've designed a simple raw-edge appliqued row that I'm calling "Turtle Trek." It pays homage to endangered sea turtles, and their difficult journey back to the sea after being born on the shore.

The row consists of three 10.5" x 12.5" blocks (including seam allowance):

Hatching
(the turtles hatch on the shore)

Trek
(they make their way to the water)

Destination
(they grow and hopefully thrive in the ocean)

And here's an illustration of the entire 12.5" x 30.5" Turtle Trek row (including outside seam allowance):


And you can download the FREE pattern for this row HERE.

*****************

To sew my row, I used two fabrics from the Northcott Canvas line which Northcott so graciously sent me. I also used other fabrics from my stash.

Here are the Northcott fabrics I used in my row:

And here is my final sewn row:


*****************

I love to read your comments and will reply via email unless you are a No Reply Blogger.

*****************

You can find links to everyone participating in all the weeks of this hop at Melissa's Blog.

19 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this lovely pattern. It is adorable.

    Lila

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh but this is wonderful. turtles are a big part of the sea. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a wonderful row, I think turtles are amazing, and this is such a great tribute to their challenge to survive. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your row reminds me of a children's book I read recently that tells about the lifecycle of these turtles and how precarious it is. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful row. It is amazing to see the progression of the turtle's life through your row.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the pattern. Very cool interpretation of a turtle's life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your turtle hatching are adorable. And the suggested variations for the background are inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely my favourite block of all! Thank you for making it available for download.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GREAT row! I love turtles! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute!! I can't wait to get it made!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth this is just the sweetest row ever! I love turtles! Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  13. We like going to see and/or volunteer with the turtles on Clearwater Beach. Hotels have to keep off certain lights when they hatch and make their way to the water.

    ReplyDelete