Friday, March 16, 2018

Quilt Qwazy Queens Blog Hop!


I'm so happy to be participating in another one of Marian's (Seams To Be Sew) great blog hops!

Here's a list of today's participants:

Friday, March 16, 2018
FunThreads DesignsElizabeth Coughlin Designs (me) |
Quilting with Vanda |
| Life in the ScrapatchThrift Shop Commando |

The theme for this hop is UFOs, or Unfinished Objects. However, I didn't have any UFOs. I have this thing about unfinished, well, anything! Once I start something, I really like to complete it as quickly as possible and then move onto something new. It might be a result of my being a Virgo, or I'm just weird lol.

So, I decided to use the theme of UUOs instead, meaning, Unused Objects! This idea was prompted by this hexagon template set I purchased over a year ago:
I had never used it, until now. I gave myself the challenge of creating something with hexagons, and the other UUO we all have, unused fabric. I had so much fun with the templates I ended up with three projects for the hop!

The first project is a mug rug measuring approximately 10" square:




Here's a quick run-down on how I made it:
  1. I used the hexagon template marked 1" to make card stock templates for the flower and cut the fabric, (the template allows you to do both).
  2. Using English Paper Piecing (EPP), I made the hexagons and sewed them together. 
  3. I hand-appliqued the flower onto my center panel and then layered the panel with batting and backing fabric. 
  4. I did a small amount of hand quilting with embroidery floss, just outlining the hexagon flower in the center. 
  5. I trimmed the center panel and added binding.
  6. I then made yo-yos with my small Clover Yo-Yo maker and sewed them to each other and to the edge of my bound panel.
If you'd like to make one, here is a diagram that shows all the components. I'm assuming you know how to EPP the hexagons, as well as binding and quilting the center block. And I'm assuming you know how to (or can figure out how to) make yo-yos with a small Clover Yo-Yo maker!


****************************************

I made the second project with more fabric and batting from my stash, and I added insulated batting (which I also had on hand) to create a hot pad measuring approximately 11" tall by 15" wide:



Here's a quick run-down on how I made it:
  1. I used the hexagon template marked 1.5" to make card stock templates and to cut out my fabric. 
  2. After creating and joining the hexagons (EPP again), I layered the top with insulating and regular batting and backing fabric. 
  3. I quilted in the ditch on this one, trimmed the pad, and then did the binding. 
****************************************

For my third project, I dug into my huge stash of WoolFelt to create a table mat measuring approximately 17.5":


Here's a quick run-down on how I made it:
  1. I used the largest hexagon template (marked 3") to cut out the background hexagons. 
  2. I appliqued flowers and centers on each hexagon.
  3. I backed each appliqued hexagon with another plain hexagon and blanket stitched around the perimeter of each. 
  4. Finally, I whip stitched the hexagons together on the back.
This project is a great way to use up scraps of WoolFelt. If you'd like to make one, here are the complete instructions:


****************************************

Be sure to leave a comment and enter today's giveaways. The Fat Quarter Shop giveaway is ongoing, the Aurifil giveaway runs through the weekend. I won't be able to respond to every comment, but if you have a question or something that needs a response, I will!


And finally, here's the complete list of the all the blog hop participants:

54 comments:

  1. I love anything hexies. Yours turned out wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW Elizabeth, totally awesome, I especially love the wool tablecloth, but the hexies really make me want to try them... I wonder if there is a machine technique for them... hehehe... I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with just a few UFOs. :) I'm so happy you participated tho, it was a good way to use a tool you hadn't used and I get it, I like it even... I have quite a few tools I've never used thinking they were a great purchase at the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marian! I have seen people joining hexies by machine, skipping the EPP part totally, but I've never tried it. I would think it would be difficult with the smaller sizes, but would probably work well with the larger.

      Delete
  3. I love hexagons and your projects are stunning. Thank you for sharing them with us.
    Ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the lack of UFO's! Such willpower. And uggg now I have a new catagory to stress over...UUO's. I have a lot of those. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your projects are lovely! I am mostly a finisher too, but zero UFOs is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only have 2 ufos, they need to be basted and quilted....but I'm relatively new to quilting so give me time. Thanks for sharing, grinnie1961 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hexies and your projects are awesome! Thanks!

    Please clickon the delaineelliott above for my email link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice project and motivation for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea for Yo-Yo edging on your mini quilt. rozz01(at)cox(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  10. your projects are wonderful. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't those templates great, I love em

    ReplyDelete
  12. Three great projects. Thank you for sharing your ideas

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, I love all of your projects! Thank you for sharing them with us. I especially love your cute mug rug. And I know what you mean about unfinished projects. I don't like to have them hanging around either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. And it's good to know I'm not really weird lol.

      Delete
  14. Love the mug rug. I would never have thought of edging it with yo yos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are too cute. I know your happy you opened up that package and put those templates to good use. There is a lesson in here for me I know! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love hexagons - the woolfelt flowers are just too cute! Thank you for sharing, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your finishing projects and not letting them turn into UFOs is commendable. I did like how you put the spin on it for this hop. I have UUOs. too. Those rulers and templates that I want to use and will use if I can live for another hundred years OR MORE.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still have not made anything hexagon. Guess I had better get with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute projects and great use of the templates. I applaud you for having no UFOs. I am also a Virgo and I have many. I must be the type of Virgo who closes my messes behind the door on my closets ... and in my drawers ... and under the bed ... lol ... ;) Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol well I do that too. But eventually, I open the door and clean the closet out because it's been driving me nuts!

      Delete
  20. I like all your projects, thank you for sharing. Have a great day! angielovesgary2 atgmail dotcom

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea. I'll bet we all have unused gadgets in our sewing rooms that seemed like brilliant purchases, perhaps even "must haves". You've inspired me to get out the one that's been on my mind and make a few blocks of my own this weekend. Thanks for the prodding. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of things seems like “must haves” at the time, then they become “must collect dust” lol. Thanks for your comments, and I’m glad I gave you a nudge!

      Delete
  22. Great projects! I have a few specialty rulers that I haven't used. I should get them out and try something with them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your hexie projects are adorable! I'm a Virgo also but I have some UFOs and I can't stand it. I told myself this is the year of UFOs. I have finished 1 and have others in the to be quilted pile which I'm learning free motion quilting on my dsm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your pile! I definitely think we Virgos like everything buttoned up and under control.

      Delete
  24. Such cute projects! I am in awe that you don't have any UFOs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whaaaat??? No UFOs in your possession?? I bow to you and wish your get-it-done attitude would blow this way! I do have several UUos that are collecting dust, so you're inspiring me to dig them out and try a new technique! You've made several very useful items...and finished them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband wishes my get-it-done attitude would blow away from him lol. I don't take too kindly to unfinished honey-do projects!

      Delete
  26. Lots of fun, this blog hop. Think I don't want to think about my UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I liked seeing your ufos. Love the hexies. I feel inspired to finish some of my ufos now too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love Hexie projects. Yours are so cute. Thanks for the inspiration. raydeer@memlane.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOOOOVE Hexie's!! And you did super job!! Thank you for sharing! I have Unused Objects too..lol Several Templates I really HAD to have..but are stil waiting on me to use them :/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I don't have any UFO's either... maybe it's some OCD thing? Happy to hear I am not alone. And I love the WoolFelt flowers, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes OCD! I was thinking it was ADD, but then realized it's the exact opposite lol.

      Delete
  31. Don’t you just love EPP? I really enjoy the hand work. You did a wonderful job and all three of your projects are beautiful! Great job! Thanks for sharing!

    usairdoll (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have too many UFOs and lots of unused fabric. Nancy A: rangerer@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your hexie work and am very impressed with your lack of UFO's

    ReplyDelete
  34. I don't have a huge stash of unfinished quilts either, but I never thought of all my notions and patterns still in their packages. Loved all your hexagon projects. Thank you so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love all the mat ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great that you finish things once started. I have been doing that recently and am very happy. Now to go back through the incredible number of UFOs I have!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your mug rug is so cute! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love all those projects! I think the mug rug is my favorite!! xx

    ReplyDelete